March 19, 2007

Droit de seigneur

Lisa Hirsch points out a Bernard Holland review of Nico Muhly that makes me green with envy: I'm just a freelancer now, but my dream is to get to that level in the criticism hierarchy where I can be lazy enough to express my bafflement in print at a question that had been answered in my own paper not a week before. Lexis-Nexis is for the rabble.

(Full disclosure: as a TA at the BU Tanglewood Institute, I gamely tried to teach sight-singing to a crowd that included, among others, Nico, Judd Greenstein, and Nora Kroll-Rosenbaum. That took a lot of coffee.)

5 comments:

Lisa Hirsch said...

Thank you for the plug - the hit rate went up up up today - and if you should happen to feel like coming by and thumping ACD a bit....

Matthew said...

Lisa! ACD and I are far, far too civilized to "thump." We verbally spar. After which, we retire to the library for snifters of brandy. (Actually, wouldn't we be disappointed to find out that ACD did not, in fact, have a stash of incredibly expensive brandy? Talk about disillusionment...)

(Those of you who are confused should do some reading here.)

Lisa Hirsch said...

A pair of Peter Wimseys, the two of you.

Matthew said...

Actually, sarcasm aside, that's who I really dream of being.

Lisa Hirsch said...

That is an excellent ambition for so many reasons.