- New York Philharmonic: $129,740 (2009-10)
- San Francisco Orchestra: $129,740 (2009-10)
- Los Angeles Philharmonic: $129,585 (2008-09)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: $128,180 (2009-10)
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra: $127,637 (2009-10)
- Philadelphia Orchestra: $124,800 (2009-10)
- Cleveland Orchestra: $115,440 (2008-09)
Back in 2006, BSO freelancers got the short end of the stick, which was reported with due skepticism; I'm assuming that inequity continues in this extension. But the full-time players are earning pretty much what every other comparable market is paying. Is the Boston Symphony Orchestra a sweet gig? Hell, yeah. But overpaid? Not according to the going rates.